Shredded chicken with broccoli and sweet soy, ginger and chilli dressing
1st March 2013
This recipe is from the brilliant Functional Nutrition Cookbook. It’s packed full of antioxidants and poaching the chicken keeps the meat moist and tender.
4 chicken breasts
250g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
Handful of mange tout
2 carrots, cut julienne style
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Trickle of sesame oil
4 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp xylitol (optional)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 tsp fresh root ginger, grated
Juice of one lemon
1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the chicken breasts and cook for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and leave the chicken to poach for a further 15 mins.
- Remove from the pan and shred the meat thinly.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Place the broccoli in a steamer and steam for 3-4 minutes until al dente.
- Place the broccoli and the other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing and mix well.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and oil to serve.
Sorry, the photos are all my own and today I didn’t have tender stem – imagine how good it would have been if I did have!