Mint Chocolate No-cheese Cake
8th October 2014
This cheesecake-torte cake from the Medicinal Chef by Dale Pinnock will amaze people, especially if you wait until afterwards to tell them what’s in it!
For the base:
200g mixed plain unsalted nuts (such as walnuts & hazelnuts)
6 pitted dates
3 tablespoons coconut oil
For the chocolate layer:
4 very ripe, very soft avocados
5 heaped tablespoons high-quality cocoa powder (preferably raw cacao powder)
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons peppermint essence
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
fresh mint leaves, to decorate (optional)
- To make the base, put the nuts and dates in a food processor and process at full speed until a dough forms.
- Melt the coconut oil gently in a small pan over a low heat and add the melted oil to the mixture.
- Process again until well mixed. Transfer the mixture to a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin, and line the base with it, pressing down firmly with the back of the spoon to create a tightly compressed layer in the tin.
- Put the tin in the freezer to set.
- Halve the avocados and scoop the flesh into a food processor. Add the cocoa powder, honey, peppermint essence and melted coconut oil, and blend to make a thick, velvety chocolate mousse.
- Remove from the freezer and pour the chocolate mixture over the base, then smooth down into an even layer with a palette knife. Chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours before removing from the tin.
- Decorate with mint leaves and serve!